By Kyle Stevenson, Pure Hockey Marketing
Have you ever found yourself in this situation: backyard rink and lucky enough to have a goalie - but only a few shooters? Not enough for a full tilt, so what do you do? Well, a couple buddies and myself had the same problem and took some inspiration from a sport I’m not generally a big fan of, basketball. With 3 skaters, a goalie and a small rink, we decided to make up a hockey version of 21.
It’s amazing how creative guys can get on the ice out of sheer boredom. So if you need something to do during the lockout, here’s a couple I’ve seen and a few of the rules. Have fun!
This one is best played with a goalie, three shooters and a relatively narrow rink. It’s a smaller, differently scored version of the rebound game most guys have played at the end of practice.
- Just like the basketball version, one player starts the game with the puck in the slot, 15-20 feet out.
- The other two skaters stand by the top of the crease. Since you’re likely not wearing padding, stand towards the posts with your sticks in front. We’re not responsible for you getting whacked, man!
- Shooter up top shoots and everyone plays for a rebound until there’s a goal, the puck gets covered or goes out of play.
Goal from the top gets 1 point
Goal from a rebound gets 2 points
Rebound that goes 5-Hole gets 3 points
- The player who scores a goal then goes up top to begin the next play
- A 5-hole rebound goal is 3 points for the scorer; it also sends the last player to touch the puck back to 0 (or back to 11 if their score was 11 or higher already).
- If you score three in a row from the slot on the original shot (not the rebound), you get a breakaway on the goalie that would be worth 2 points if you score. If you don’t score on the breakaway, play the rebound as usual.
- You have to hit 21 on the nose to win. So plan accordingly. Any scenario that puts you over 21 (ex. putting in a rebound with 20 already) sends you back to 15. Which you deserve for not being able to add properly.
One Timer Game
This game is great for Stick & Puck when there’s no goalie and guys are tired of playing posts.
You’ll need two nets. Take one net, and lay it down Crossbar out. So the bottom of the posts are lined up, touching, on both nets one in normal position and one lying down.
Everyone lines up, one at a time you skate in, pass the puck off the crossbar, then have to one time it on the way in. Obviously trying to put it into the opening at the top of the upright net.
To win, you need to hit 4 different one-timers: a slapshot, a snapshot, a backhander and between the legs (in no particular order).
Game rotates through each player in order. If you hit a shot, you immediately go again and try for the next shot.
With the net lying down, a lot of the upright goal is covered. Its tougher than it looks!. And you have to be sure to leave yourself space to get the puck up, and line the pass up at a good angle for the different shots. Good luck!
Now here's the fun part, We are going to put up a $50 Pure Hockey Gift card to the best original game submitted to us on the Pure Hockey Facebook Page
We'll pick a winner Friday January 18th. Get creative...
(My brutal attempt at illustrating the net set up)
Follow Us on Twitter
Get the lastest videos on YouTube
- Around the Rink (3)
- Bauer (60)
- Bauer Gloves (3)
- Bauer Helmet (5)
- Bauer Helmets (2)
- Bauer Hockey Skates (16)
- Bauer Hockey: Bauer Hockey Skates (12)
- Bauer Protective (3)
- Bauer Skates (2)
- Bauer Sticks (25)
- Bauer Sticks | Pure Hockey (12)
- Brians's Goalie Gear (2)
- Cascade Helmets (2)
- ccm (17)
- CCM Hockey: CCM Skates (8)
- CCM RBZ stick & CCM U+ | Pure Hockey (3)
- CCM Skates & CCM Stick (4)
- CCM Skates & CCM Sticks (3)
- CCM Sticks & CCM U+ | Pure Hockey (5)
- easton (52)
- Easton Helmets (2)
- Easton Hockey Sticks: Easton RS Stick (3)
- Easton Hockey Sticks: Easton S19 Stick (4)
- Easton Mako Sticks | Pure Hockey (3)
- Easton S17 Sticks | Pure Hockey (4)
- Easton Skates (8)
- Easton Sticks (11)
- Equipment Weights (12)
- Gear Talk (10)
- Hockey Glove Sizing Guide (2)
- Hockey News (8)
- Hockey Player Interviews (32)
- hockey stick information (4)
- mission (7)
- Mission Hockey: Skates (6)
- nexus stick (4)
- Off The Ice (4)
- Offseason Hockey Training (3)
- Other Interviews (15)
- Protective (6)
- Pure Goalie (6)
- Pure GOALIE Interview: Rob Howland (2)
- Pure Hockey Gives Back (2)
- Pure Hockey Stores (8)
- RBK Sticks | Pure Hockey (10)
- Reebok (31)
- Reebok Goalie Gear (12)
- Reebok Hockey: Reebok 20k (6)
- Reebok Hockey: Reebok 6k (4)
- Reebok Skates (2)
- Reebok Sticks (7)
- sherwood (10)
- Sherwood Hockey: Sherwood Hockey Sticks & Sherwood Goalie Sticks | Pure Hockey (9)
- Sticks & Gloves | Pure Hockey (7)
- test ccm (3)
- TV Commercials (8)
- Useful Pure Hockey Information (8)
- warrior (20)
- Warrior Hockey: Warrior Hockey Sticks & Gloves | Pure Hockey (1)
- Warrior Hockey: Warrior Hockey Sticks & Warrior Gloves | Pure Hockey (9)
- Warrior Sticks (4)
- Welcome (4)