Game Time Review: Bauer Re-Akt Helmet
By Kyle Stevenson, Pure Hockey Marketing
Having worn a Bauer 4500 for the better part of the past decade, I recently got to try out a few high end helmets that I likely would not have tried otherwise. I've had the opportunity to test out a couple top-of-the-line bike helmet style- foam helmets, the EPP foam Easton E700 and the slightly different Vertex Foam of the Bauer Re-Akt helmets. I have always valued comfort more than protection in all my equipment, helmets included, and because of this, I have usually leaned towards the softer, more comfortable dual-density VN foams like the 4500.
I have never found a higher end, EPP foam helmet that was very comfortable to wear. I always ended up with pressure points, or having my hair caught between the pieces of foam. The Re-Akt helmet doesn't fit that mold. After getting to try out the Re-Akt I can tell you, this helmet has everything going for it.
Lets go one by one through the normal high end helmet complaints that the Re'Akt solves...
High end EPP foam helmets are uncomfortable...
-Bauer took This EPP hard foam helmet and made it extremely comfortable. The SUSPEND-TECH liner is protective, but it also adds a nice bit of soft padding. Memory foam pads in the temple contour to each individuals head shape for a snug but comfortable fit. I really felt it mold to my head as I wore it. This helmet is also very well ventilatedto keep your head cooler in game. I usually take my helmet off between shifts to cool down, and it wasn't as needed with the Re-Akt.
More protective helmets are bulkier looking
- One of my biggest personal problems with top of the line helmets is there utter lack of style - Look good, Feel good, Play good - Bauer finally listened to players who desired a bucket with top-end protection, and good looks. Designed with the timeless look of the Bauer 4500 in mind, Bauer came up with a sleak, low profile, good looking helmet.
Protection isn't as top notch as advertised
- There was a big push a few years back of companies claiming "Concussion-proof Helmets". Well no such thing existed. Still doesn't. There are two types of concussions, those caused by a direct blow or impact. which can be prevented by the correct impact absorbant helmet/material, and rotational concussions. Rotational concussions are essentially caused by a whiplash type motion, causing your brain to rattle in your head. Bauer worked hard to create something to fight this second type of concussion, introducing the free floating SUSPEND-TECH. this moves independently from the rest of the helmet, protecting the brain from excessive movement within your head. So on top of being comfortable, this is really one of, if not the most, technologically advanced, and safest helmets ever made. The third generation occipital lock does a great job of extending underneath the back of your head to really hold the helmet in place on impacts.
Some other benefits of the helmet that I really liked include the new sizing system. It is really simple to fit, even to adjust in game. It adjusts from one clip, in the back center of the helmet, no tools, just open it, put the helmet on, move it in until its snug and snap it back into place. I am not a huge fan of ear flaps, I take them off as soon as I get a new helmet home, I still did for this the Re-Akt, but when I had the helmet on when I first received it, they were not very noticeable in comparison to a lot of others.
I have really enjoyed the Bauer Re-Akt helmet. Feels good, looked really good on the ice, and is very protective. Although I didn't skate into the boards to test it, having read about the technology, seen the tests that were run, I truly trust that if I needed that type of protection on the ice, I would be all set with the Bauer Re-Akt helmet.
The Bauer Re-Akt is available at all Pure Hockey locations, and here at Purehockey.com
Preview: Bauer Re-Akt Helmet
By Jeff Copetas, VP of Marketing & E-Commerce
I just walked out into our warehouse yesterday and saw waves of boxes, just coming off the truck. Whenever this happens, I always have to take a peek at the box to see what's in it and this time it was Bauer's Re-Akt helmet. Bauer has spent the better part of a year (or years?) in research and development on what makes a better and safer helmet - and the Re-Act is the result of that labor.
So first off, this is a minor, but appreciated thing Bauer is doing - adding featuresets and actual graphic design to their helmet boxes. This will undoubtedly help out store shoppers who are browsing, yet have no idea why one helmet may be better than another. Hockey companies in general are still catching up to the rest of the world on this type of stuff, so it's nice to see that it's really starting to happen.
OK, now let's get down and dirty here. Let's start off with the most important part - the inside, protective part of the helmet. This is where Bauer has really devoted some time and energy into making the most stable and protective helmet they possibly could. The picture below on the left side, is the inside of the helmet, obviously. Bauer has calls this their "Suspend-Tech Liner," which is loosly attached to the inside of the helmet. Now, when I say "loosely attached," don't let that worry you - it's not like it's going to fall out of the helmet. You can see what I mean by looking at the picture on the right. At impact on the ice, the liner will move independantly from the foams in the helmet to help protect your squash from any potentially damaging brain movement. Of course, no helmet can prevent concussions entirely, but Bauer's technology is taking a next step in protection.
OK, so here's a shot of the helmet in its full-glory. Bauer modeled this one after their immensely popular 4500 line and you can clearly see that in the design. Why mess with success?
On the back you have the adjustment feature, which you can move up or down to help stabilize the back of your head and give you that good, snug fit that you need.
Towards the top of the helmet, you have your tool-free adjustment, which gives you quick, easy adjustment options. At first glance it looks a little odd, but it actually gave Bauer a chance to slightly tweak the width of the helmet and enhance the protection on the sides.
....and finally, here's the angled ear-loops and dual-density ear covers.
I tried this helmet on and I must say it warrants real consideration. This is a top-of-the-line helmet pricewise and Bauer has created top-of-the-line technology and it is - by a long shot - the most comfortable Bauer helmet I have ever put on my head. I currently wear a Cascade M-11 and the Bauer Re-Akt provides the same level (if not better) of comfort.
We will be doing some on-ice testing in the next couple of weeks and will provide a game-time review at that time. The Bauer Re-Akt will be on sale at Pure Hockey stores and PureHockey.com on May 18th.
Follow Us on Twitter
Get the lastest videos on YouTube
- Around the Rink (3)
- Bauer (70)
- Bauer Gloves (3)
- Bauer Helmet (5)
- Bauer Helmets (2)
- Bauer Hockey Skates (18)
- Bauer Hockey: Bauer Hockey Skates (14)
- Bauer Protective (3)
- Bauer Skates (2)
- Bauer Sticks (27)
- Bauer Sticks | Pure Hockey (14)
- Brians's Goalie Gear (2)
- Cascade Helmets (2)
- ccm (18)
- CCM Hockey: CCM Skates (9)
- CCM RBZ stick & CCM U+ | Pure Hockey (4)
- CCM Skates & CCM Stick (4)
- CCM Skates & CCM Sticks (3)
- CCM Sticks & CCM U+ | Pure Hockey (5)
- easton (71)
- Easton Helmets (2)
- Easton Hockey Sticks: Easton RS Stick (4)
- Easton Hockey Sticks: Easton S19 Stick (5)
- Easton Mako Sticks | Pure Hockey (4)
- Easton S17 Sticks | Pure Hockey (5)
- Easton Skates (8)
- Easton Sticks (15)
- Equipment Previews (17)
- Equipment Weights (12)
- Gear Talk (10)
- Hockey Glove Sizing Guide (3)
- Hockey News (8)
- Hockey Player Interviews (32)
- hockey stick information (4)
- mission (9)
- Mission Hockey: Skates (8)
- nexus stick (4)
- Off The Ice (4)
- Offseason Hockey Training (3)
- Other Interviews (15)
- Protective (6)
- Pure Goalie (6)
- Pure GOALIE Interview: Rob Howland (2)
- Pure Hockey Gives Back (2)
- Pure Hockey Stores (8)
- RBK Sticks | Pure Hockey (12)
- Reebok (34)
- Reebok Goalie Gear (14)
- Reebok Hockey: Reebok 20k (7)
- Reebok Hockey: Reebok 6k (5)
- Reebok Skates (2)
- Reebok Sticks (7)
- sherwood (12)
- Sherwood Hockey: Sherwood Hockey Sticks & Sherwood Goalie Sticks | Pure Hockey (11)
- Sticks & Gloves | Pure Hockey (9)
- test ccm (3)
- TV Commercials (8)
- Useful Pure Hockey Information (8)
- warrior (23)
- Warrior Hockey: Warrior Hockey Sticks & Gloves | Pure Hockey (1)
- Warrior Hockey: Warrior Hockey Sticks & Warrior Gloves | Pure Hockey (11)
- Warrior Sticks (4)
- Welcome (4)