Don't wait until the season is nearly upon you to begin your off-season workouts. Take advantage of the time before the season starts to get in some creative and simple hockey drill workouts geared toward hockey players. This off-ice training should
be part of your off-season hockey workouts, conditioning, and skills drills to ensure you are ready to play better hockey when you hit the ice for the first practice of the season.
In this video, Pat Gigante, owner and head trainer at Xcelerated Performance, goes over another stretching technique, this time focusing on the groin and hamstring areas to help prevent injury on the ice during your off-season workouts.
This stretch is a simple hockey exercise that, along with drills and hockey workouts, will help you get ready for the season. Take off your shoes before doing this stretch in your home to avoid marking the wall.
Keys to the Drill
- Lay on your back with your butt up against the wall and your legs extended straight up.
- Slowly separate your feet wider while keeping your knees straight.
- Spread your legs as wide as you can, stretching the inner thighs and groin while also stretching your hamstrings.
- Stretch while taking deep breaths.
- Hold the stretch for about 1 minute to start.
- Progress to 2 or 3 minutes.